After a successful launching this morning and a very pleasant first sail (gusting 30+ knots)it was a bit of a bit of a shock to find out how much I had forgotten about setting up the rig this morning. I’m hoping someone may have some advice for the following questions:
1) How do you set up the mizzen lug sail? Does it just haul up from the throat on the spar on the halyard; or do you set it up like the main with a pulley on the spar and beads around the mast?
2) How do you set up the system for choking the Mizzen (putting it away… sorry…it must have a name!)?
3) A number of people have mentioned problems with knowing when the centreboard is fully down or not. I have the same problem. At the moment I wind it fully up and then wind it down 12 full circles on the winch, it sort of feels right, but any ideas or advice is welcome.
4) I have decided to try using the boat without the outboard this year. So I’m going to get some oars (about 10’long?); and using a ‘strop’ around the winches as rowlocks. Has anyone tried rowing a Romilly? Any advice in setting this up would be welcome.
5) In the same vane as question 4, One reason I want to get rid of my 5hp engine is that it is so big and heavy and I can’t move it easily. Has any one successfully tried a smaller outboard? (smaller than 4hp; say.. 2.5hp?).
6) It would be good to get all the Romillys together one year (say in 2011). I think others must feel the same. If so where and when? Everyone would be most welcome down here on the River Dart! What does everyone think? Any ideas welcome!